The path to a clear and happy skin begins with a healthy, consistent skincare routine. It is the everyday simple habits that actually matter and make a visible difference to the skin in the long run. Thus, with the change in the weather conditions, you need to accordingly tweak your skincare routine too! Today, I bring to you some simple skincare tips that will help you beat the heat while keeping your skin happy and healthy. So without any further ado, let’s get started!
1. Load Up The SPF: Protecting your skin from the Sun is the first and foremost step for a healthy skin. No matter the weather or the time of the year, you need sunblock all year round. The moment you step out of the house, the Sun starts following you! Thus, it is extremely important to always put on sunscreen a few minutes before leaving the house so that it completely gets absorbed into the skin.
Pick a sunscreen that has a lightweight and non-sticky texture and does not leave a whitish cast behind. It is also important to pick the right sunblock as per your skin type. Cream-based sunscreens work best for normal and dry skinned ladies, while gel ones go well with oily skin.
2. Try Facial Mists: Facial mists are a great way to beat the heat! They instantly refresh and recharge your skin and certainly come in handy during hot & humid weather. Apart from this, they also hydrate your skin and keep dirt, dust and impurities away. They easily fit in your bag and are easy to carry around too!
3. Exfoliation Is A Must: Exfoliation forms a vital step in a healthy skincare regimen. And, it assumes even more importance during the hot summer months. Scrubbing twice a week helps get rid of the buildup of dead skin cells and reveals fresh, bright skin. Exfoliating also improves circulation and makes way for a healthy complexion. Make sure you pick a gentle yet effective face scrub. Using a harsh scrub or scrubbing too vigorously can do more harm than good and damage the skin in the long run. In addition to the face, you should also invest in a good body scrub in order to keep the rest of the skin healthy.
4. Moisturize Right: Invest in the right moisturizer that suits your skin type and goes well with the weather. The answer here is not skipping the moisturizer, but to apply the right one. Moisturization helps keep the skin hydrated and protects it from the external environment. Ditch heavy creams and go for lightweight lotions. It is definitely an added advantage if it contains SPF too! Opt for light, mattifying lotions that keep your skin moisturized and without feeling greasy or sticky.
5. Hydration Is Key: Staying hydrated at all times is an integral step in the direction of a happy and healthy skin. Make it a point to carry water along with you whenever you step outside your house. Drinking ample amount of water not only flushes out toxins from the body, but also makes the skin clean and clear. It also imparts your skin radiance, makes you glow from within and improves the skin texture over time. You can even include Coconut water and fresh fruit juices in your diet to keep the body hydrated.
6. Eat Right: Simply put, whatever you eat, reflects on your skin. Thus, it is important to keep a watch on your daily intake. Include more of fresh fruits and veggies, especially the seasonal ones in your diet. Foods such as cucumber, watermelon and strawberries are especially great for the summer season. Avoid eating too much of junk food as well as oily food and instead switch to more healthy options and home-cooked food.
7. Keep A Watch On Acne: Because of the excess sweat as well as humidity in summers, the skin produces more sebum and thereby becomes more prone to breakouts and acne. And this becomes even more difficult for those with oily and acne-prone skin. Thus, it is important to go for non-comedogenic products and keep the face as clean as possible. You should also avoid touching your face too much as the germs from the hands can transfer on to the face and cause zits.
8. Masking The Right Way: Face Masks form an essential part of a good skincare routine. Regular masking definitely makes a difference to your skin! Whether is hydrating, detoxifying, or anti-acne, you need to figure out what your skin needs. You can also try multimasking to cater to specific needs on your face; such as an oily T-Zone, acne-prone chin or dry cheeks. Cooling masks and sheet masks are other options that work well in summers.
9. Regular Face Cleanups: Summers bring along with it dirt, dust and sweat, which in turn makes the skin dull and tired. Therefore, regular face cleanups are also important. Whether you get it done in a salon or do-it-yourself at home, facial cleanups ensure that your skin is free from the layer of dead skin cells, dirt and impurities. These also keep blackheads away and reduce clogging of pores.
10. Protect Your Pout: Whenever you go out in the Sun, your pout needs protection too! Make it a point to apply a lip balm with an appropriate SPF to protect from sun damage. Go for a hydrating, yet lightweight and non sticky lip balm to keep your lips hydrated. Whether you are into matte lippies, creme lippies or lip glosses, this forms the primal step in lip care. Along with this, make it a point to exfoliate your lips regularly in order to keep dead skin cells and pigmentation away. You can either pick a lip scrub or use sugar granules too.
11. Take Good Care Of Your Hands And Feet: Your hands and feet also bear the brunt of the hot weather and deserve some TLC too! Invest in a good hand cream in order to keep your hands soft and moisturized. Go for a hydrating yet non-greasy cream to get the job done right. In addition, regularly exfoliate your feet and pick a good foot cream. And for some extra pampering, you can of course go for regular mani-pedi sessions! 🙂
12. Keep Your Makeup Minimal: This is another important step in maintaining a healthy skin in summers. Apply minimal makeup in order to avoid clogging of pores. Ditch heavy and cakey foundations and instead go for a light BB cream or a tinted moisturizer or just some concealer. This will help your skin breathe and avoid breakouts too.
13. Go Natural! I completely believe in including as many natural ingredients in my skincare routine as possible. Whether it is Brown Sugar, Aloe Vera, Honey, Papaya, or Cucumber, such ingredients actually do work wonders for your skin. Whether you apply these directly on the face or mix along with other natural ingredients to form a face scrub or a face mask, natural remedies are definitely beneficial. Just make sure to do a patch test first so that your skin does not react to any of the ingredients.
So ladies, with this I conclude my list of skincare habits for the summer season. If you have some more tips, then please do share them in the comments section below.
Till next time,