We all are aware about the importance of maintaining a healthy skincare routine! But we get so caught up in our busy-busy schedules, that we forget to take proper care of it. So today, I will be taking you through 15 simple steps in order to keep your skin happy and healthy. Keep reading to find out more!
1. Picking The Right Products: Everyone has a different skin type, whether it is dry, normal, combination or oily! Some might be more prone to acne, while others might have a more sensitive skin. Thus, it goes without saying that you should understand your skin and pick just the right products accordingly. What suits you might not suit someone else! Do not run after every single product advertised. Take time to understand your skin in and out and then decide accordingly.
2. Less Is More: I honestly believe in keeping it simple! At one point of time, I made the mistake of using too many skincare products; which actually did me more harm than good! Therefore, I stick to a consistent beauty routine with a few but effective products. You can also invest in multitaskers, i.e., products that fulfil multiple needs, such as a nourishing moisturizer with built-in SPF or an exfoliating face wash.
3. Say No To Popping Pimples: No matter how satisfying it feels, it is definitely not a good idea to pop your pimples! It can leave behind scars, cause inflammation and even give rise to more pimples. Simply take your mind off of it and let it heal on its own!
4. Removing Makeup Before Sleep: I know you must have heard this like a zillion times, but trust me, this is an extremely important step when it comes to taking care of your skin. Now we all are aware of this step, but sometimes tend to skip it. NEVER EVER sleep with your makeup on! Remove every last trace of makeup with a makeup remover and wash your face before dozing off to bed. Sleeping in makeup leads to clogging of pores and makes the skin more prone to breakouts. Along with this, it can also make the skin dull and cause premature ageing.
5. Regular Exfoliation: Make it a habit to exfoliate your face with a gentle scrub once a week. However, make sure that you do not scrub too harsh else it can damage the skin. Regular exfoliation removes the layer of dead skin cells and reveals fresh and brighter skin. It also helps your skincare products to seep in more effectively and deliver better results.
6. Moisturization: Needless to say, moisturization plays a vital role in keeping the skin healthy! I always moisturize my skin as soon as I get out of the shower. This helps in locking in the moisture and makes way for a healthy complexion. Moisturizing the skin keeps it smooth, hydrated and nourished. It also helps in maintaining a youthful glow and keeps skincare conditions under check. Along with this, it forms a protective layer that shields the skin from external environment and also prevents premature ageing. Thus, go for a good moisturizer that contains SPF and is non-comedogenic.
7. Hydrate! Make it a point to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday. Now as cliche as it sounds, this actually works! This is one of the simplest and easiest habits to incorporate! Water helps in naturally detoxifying the body, which in turn gives you healthy and clear skin. It also keeps the skin elastic and makes it radiant and youthful. Proper hydration also helps in replenishing the skin cells, improving circulation and preventing wrinkles. You can also include Coconut water in your routine; which is again very good for the skin.
8. Make SPF Your BFF: Sun Protection is another important aspect of a healthy skincare regimen! Whenever you are stepping out of the house, put on sunscreen. This will not only protect your skin from the harsh rays of the Sun, but also prevent premature ageing and save you from getting those awful sunburns.
9. Healthy Eating: Whatever you eat, reflects on your skin! Thus, it is very important to keep a watch on your intake. Ditch oily food, carbonated drinks and junk food. Include more and more of fruits, veggies and proteins in your diet. Also, indulge yourself in Superfoods such as Avocado, Green Tea, Blueberries, Broccoli, etc.
10. Beauty Sleep: Getting a good 8 hours of sleep is also an essential part of keeping the skin healthy. Beauty Sleep helps in repairing the skin at night and makes way for a fresh and radiant skin. It also helps to prevent dark circles, fine lines and wrinkles. Along with this, it is also important to change your sheets regularly and always sleep on clean bedding. Sleeping on your back and using silk pillowcases also helps in maintaining a healthy skin.
11. Clean Makeup Brushes: Make it a point to clean your makeup brushes regularly. They are a very common carrier of germs which when come in contact with the skin, cause breakouts. It also leads to clogged pores and in some cases, skin irritation too! In order to clean the brushes, you can use a mild baby shampoo along with a brush egg cleaner.
12. Multi-Masking: Multimasking has become very popular lately and it is definitely one of the ongoing beauty trend nowadays! Simply put, it refers to multiple masks being applied on the face simultaneously in order to cater to specific skin issues. For instance, a clay mask for an oily T-Zone, a hydrating mask for dry cheeks, and another mask to prevent acne. This will target the individual skin issues and make the skin clear and healthy.
13. Sweat It Out: It goes without saying that exercise also plays a major role when it comes to a healthy skin! No matter how busy you are, try to establish a workout routine and stick to it. Whether it is walking, running, jogging, swimming or Yoga, pick one that works best for you and sweat it out. Regular exercise promotes blood circulation and makes the skin clear and radiant. It also reduces stress levels and prevents breakouts.
14. Do Not Share Makeup: As much as we all love dolling up with our girlfriends, there are some makeup items that you should never share with anyone! Some of these include mascara, makeup brushes, moisturizers that come in a pot, pressed powders, cushion foundations, razors, and lipsticks, to name a few. Sharing these transfers the bacteria and causes breakouts. It may also lead to skin irritation, allergies and acne.
15. Under-Eye Care: We all know that the under-eye area is extremely delicate and needs to be taken good care of. In addition, it does not possess oil glands, which tends to easily make it dry. If proper care is not taken, dark circles, under-eye wrinkles and fine lines can start appearing at an early age. Therefore, it is recommended to start using an under-eye cream in the late 20’s. You can also try simple natural remedies like Rose Water, Cucumber and Almond Oil and should avoid using harsh skincare products around the delicate eye-area.
So my lovely friends, these were some skincare tips that I wanted to share with you all. If you have some more, do share them in the comments section below!
Till next time,